Back To Listing

Marginal Electorate Link to Unemployment

Base: Australians Electors in workforce aged 18+. Source: Roy Morgan Research Single Source; Jul 2012 – Jun 2013.

The Roy Morgan Unemployment Rating released each month provides a thorough look at Australia’s real level of unemployment and under-employment. The first task of any Government is to reduce unemployment to as low a level as possible.

The Roy Morgan July unemployment estimate is 10.1%, with an additional 9.0% under-employed. A total of 2.4 million Australians (19.1%) are looking for work or looking for more work.

Marginal electorates in which unemployment is the highest represent a clear opportunity to be picked up by the opposing party at the Federal Election. The marginal ALP seats of Petrie (QLD) - 18.5%, Kingsford-Smith – NSW (12.7%), Corangamite (VIC) - 12.7%, Brand (WA) – 12.7%, Eden-Monaro (NSW) – 12.3%, Chisholm (VIC) – 12.0%, Blair (QLD) – 11.9%, Capricornia (QLD) – 11.5% and Robertson (NSW) – 11.1% have clearly the highest level of unemployment.  The marginal L-NP seats with the highest unemployment include McMillan (VIC) – 15.2%, Canning (WA) – 12.3%, Aston (VIC) – 10.5%, Leichhardt (QLD) – 10.4% and Forde (QLD) – 10.3%.


Marginal Electorate Link to Unemployment


Marginal Electorate Link to Unemployment


For further information:

Gary Morgan:     Office +61 3 9224 5213 Mobile +61 411 129 094

Michele Levine:   Office +61 3 9224 5215 Mobile +61 411 129 093