By Gary Morgan & Michele Levine, Directors of Roy Morgan Research Ltd publisher of ABIX. Roy Morgan has released a detailed list of ownership to various Australian Public Opinion Polling and Market Research Companies. The list includes Roy Morgan, Nielsen, Ipsos, YouGov, Newspoll, Essential Poll and others.
By Gary Morgan & Michele Levine
, Directors of Roy Morgan Research Ltd publisher of ABIX
1. Roy Morgan Research Ltd – Australian based with operations also in New Zealand, Indonesia, US and UK – 81.5% owned by Gary Morgan and family, 13.3% Michele Levine (CEO) and 5.2% present & former employees/consultants.
2. Nielsen – US based multinational valued at about $US17b – at present for sale with 8.4% owned by hedge fund Elliott Management – throughout the world conducts retail audits, net ratings and TV ratings.
3. Ipsos – French owned multinational conducts The Age/SMH Poll, recently purchased four divisions from GFK.
4. YouGov owners of Galaxy – a major UK based public opinion and social research company.
5. Newspoll – public opinion polls conducted by YouGov and published in The Australian.
6. Essential Poll – conducted by Essential Media Communications the holding company is The Essential Research and Communications Group Pty Ltd. The shares are held equally by Peter Lewis & James Douglas but the shares are not beneficially held (owner not known). Conduct Robo-Polling; clients as published include Shop Distributive & Allied Employees Association Nat Branch, United Firefighters’ Union of Australia-Victorian Branch and Federal Australian Education Union.
7. uComms/ReachTEL Poll – three equal shareholders of UComms are ACTU secretary Sally McManus, CFMMEU national secretary Michael O’Connor and James Stewart, a former executive of ReachTEL who conducted Robo-Polling.
8. ReachTEL – users of low-cost Robo-Polling. ReachTEL is a wholly owned subsidiary of Equifax, a NYSE listed data and analytics company.
9. DBM Consultants – conducts customer satisfaction surveys for all major Australian bank covering both business customers and personal customers – controlled and 51% owned by an ultimate holding Chinese company – Shanghai Illuminera Marketing Strategy Consulting Co Ltd.
10. ORC International Pty Ltd trading as Engine Asia Pacific – US based corporation recently awarded by Federal Government Tourism Research tender (Contract Notice View – CN3566082) for $18,950,385.20 (not lowest) to collected personal information on overseas tourist visiting Australia (Per year: 1.4 million Chinese spending $10.4b).
11. The Social Research Centre owned by the Australian National University.
12. Emma conducted by NewsMediaWorks – supplier of media information from surveys conducted by IPSOS & Nielsen – NewsMediaWorks is majority owned and controlled by News Corp.
13. GFK – German multinational research company – conducts Australian commercial radio ratings.
14. Kantar Group includes Taylor Nelson – owned by WPP, the world’s largest multinational advertising agency based in the UK.
15. IRI – US based multinational – conducts mainly retail research.
16. Most major advertising agencies and accounting firms conduct surveys for their clients, they usually sub-contract the field work.
For further information:
+61 3 9224 5213
+61 411 129 094
+61 3 9224 5215
+61 411 129 093